We are looking for highly energized and self-motivated professionals for employment on a fixed term contract as:
Main purpose of the job
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Corporate, Legal and Regulatory Affairs Officer shall implement a comprehensive corporate, legal & regulatory strategy which would enable the achievement of the Company's vision and mission by delivering the results required by the stakeholders, thereby creating shareholders' value.
The job holder shall have the joint functions of the Company Secretary and the Legal and Regulatory Affairs activities in minimizing legal risks by advising the Board of Directors, Group Executive Committee and the Company's stakeholders on any major legal, corporate and regulatory issues the company confronts, such as litigation risks.
- Conduct and execute with satisfaction the function of Company Secretary for MT Group.
- Set, develop, and lead the overall regulatory, corporate, legal strategy to promote and to protect the company's matters.
- Formulate and oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures, and internal controls to promote legal compliance, ethical conduct and transparency through out the company business activities.
- Ensure proper follow up on actions notes with regards to Board and Audit Committee discussions.
- Monitor compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and provide guidance on corporate governance best practices.
- Lead the Public Policy and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts of the company.
- Manage all regulatory and legal matters of the MT Group and be the single point of contact with MT Approved Legal Chambers while providing expert legal advice and guidance to the executive team, board of directors, and other stakeholders on legal matters, including contracts, commercial transactions, employment law, intellectual property, litigation, and regulatory compliance.
- Enforce implementation of strategic decisions and innovative solutions pertaining to Regulatory Affairs and priorities.
- Enforce relevant legislations across MT Group by conducting training to other departments on ICT-related legislations as well as non- ICT specific legislations topics such as Competition Law, Data Protection Law among others.
- Participating in the development of new products and services including providing legal advice to support pricing rationale and strategy.
- Provide legal guidance and support in mergers, acquisitions, and other strategic transactions.
- Identify and assess legal risks associated with the organization's operations, transactions, and business activities by conducting due diligence to identify legal and compliance risks and develop strategies to address them effectively.
- Protect the organization's intellectual property rights, including trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Develop and implement strategies for intellectual property management, including filing and defending intellectual property claims.
- Represent company directly and/or manage outside counsel in regulatory enforcement or litigation matters if needed.
- Responsible for matters relating to International Carrier Relations Including developing and agreeing coherent position statement and strategy on behalf of MT Group.
- Ensure effective public presentation and to foster and maintain good personal working relationships with Regulators, Operators, Licensees, Opinion Formers and Government in support of MT's regulatory and commercial position.
- Act as a key point of contact for all legal or compliance issues and queries that may arise in the various jurisdictions that we operate in or may consider operating in
- Advise, craft and review MT Group contracts by ensuring the best interest of the company.
- Perform any other cognate duties related to main duties
Desired Qualification and Experience
- Minimum a Master degree in law from a recognized University.
- Minimum seven (7) years proven experience as attorney and/or as an in-house legal counsel with a focus on at least one or more of the following areas of law: Corporate Affairs, Contract, commercial, ICT.
- Familiarity with Mauritian Corporate laws is a-must.
- Experience in Telecommunications will be an advantage.
Competences and people skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex legal concepts to both legal and non-legal stakeholders.
- Highly skilled and experienced in contract drafting and negotiations, advising on matters concerning corporate law and governance, general dispute resolution, intellectual property, product compliance, and health and safety issues.
- Ready and willing to roll-up your sleeves and see legal and/or compliance matters, projects and initiatives through from end-to-end.
- Experience in managing legal issues at a regional or global level is preferred.
- Excellent communicator (both written and verbal), and able to effectively manage both internal and external stakeholder relationships across individuals at all levels.
- Effective communication skills in French and English (orally and in writing).
- High-level analytical skills and an eye for detail for present and in-the-horizon.
- A passion for commercial and legal negotiations.
- High level of Ethics and Diplomacy skills.
Candidates who wish to apply should click on the Apply Now button. The closing date for submission of applications is Monday, 05 June 2023.
Mauritius Telecom reserves the right not to make any appointment following this advertisement.
NB: Recommended browsers to view online application form: Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer 9+.